First day of week 3, and by far the most productive day so far! Once the meeting was over I immediately focused on coding a plot to show the standard deviations of the stars that met the minimum epoch requirement. While I planned on doing that on the Friday before, I could not get anything to work. Today, I was able to overcome those difficulties and after three one-hour runs I had the plot of the big data set, LMC_36. Once that was done it was time for lunch: Pizza and Doughnuts.
In the afternoon I condensed the code I used for the plot so it looked organized. After talking with Matt, I started my new task: finding the offsets of the constant stars (stars with standard deviations of less than 1.0/1.5) to normalize the data. As this requires the comparison of many different data arrays, the code took me about 2 and a half hours to write, with an additional half-hour spent on debugging. At 4:30 PM, it was finally done! However, the offset values seemed a little bit too large, a problem which I will work with tomorrow. Neither Ben nor Matt know whether this comes from my program or the data set.
Today was not only the most productive day, it was also one of the most fun days. Many people do not like looking through code for 8 hours, but the push to get results made today very enjoyable. While I do not have actual results yet, I am looking forward to using my code to get usable information about the Magellanic Clouds.